Sunday, January 22, 2017

Repeal HB2 - in solidarity with North Carolina Lily

Repeal HB2 - In solidarity with North Carolina transgender individuals who are endangered by HB2 - requiring them to use the restroom that matches the gender on their birth certificate

20"x20"
completed on Jan 21, 2017


This quilt is made for Project Quilting Season 8 - week 2 with the theme: Carolina Lily.  I knew that I was not particular inspired by the traditional Carolina Lily Quilt block - even though so many other quilts made for the challenge did some wonderful things with this design:

nor by the flower Carolina Lily - although this is where I drew the main orange color of my quilt:
I knew about the controversial "bathroom bill" in North Carolina, so I did some research for transgender individuals in North Carolina and found Lily, Gavin, Trinity and many others who are part of the #WeAreNotThis movement, to repeal HB2 (House Bill 2)

The large letters are created using the paper pieced alphabet by Hunters Design Studio.   Although I reached out to the individual I found in news articles about HB2, Lily did not want me to use her actual face nor name (which I honor) so this is simply female face clip art, meant to represent any transgender individual.  The male and female bathroom icons are the battleground of this movement, placed on the rainbow of colors used by the LGBTQ movement.

I can't imagine how it makes sense that an individual who presents as female would be required to use a male restroom.  The danger we are putting that person in seems obvious.  I understand the fear about sexual predators in female restrooms, (I'm a woman,  I have daughters)  but this comes at the hands of men seeking to overpower women.  I don't know of a single instance where this occurred by a transgender woman.

I'm an ally.

Peace  







No comments:

Post a Comment