Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Well-dressed Man is a Feminist

A Well-dressed Man is a Feminist - This quilt is in response to this season of misogyny in the White House.  There were many men walking in the Womens Marches all over the world on January 21, 2017, including my son in California who proudly declares himself a feminist, because he understands he is not emasculated by supporting women's rights. 

20"x20"
completed on March 5, 2017 



I focused on the pink pussy hat, that became the symbol of the Women's March.  The overview images of those marches all over the world, is a sea of pink dots - captured in this drawing and this typical photo:  






There are many images on the internet of strong men wearing the hat - including this one of a police officer.  Since the marches were peaceful, the police presence was relaxed and supportive.








This is specifically in response to the Project Quilting Season 8 - week 5 challenge theme: Well Dressed Man,  but I also want to create for Threads of Resistance project, which has a minimum size requirement of 20x20.  So I created the pieced background, using some textured grey linen, some soft shirting type plaids, and other grey fabric. 

I decided to create a minimalist face with just a mustache to indicate male, and then added the glasses, to represent a sort of 'hipster' male, looking much like my son, Sam, who marched in Oakland with his wife, Kelly.













The hat is hand embroidered in a tight chain stitch, meant to mimic knitting.  I embroidered it on a pink background fabric,  with a variegated embroidery floss, using the entire 6 strands, then I appliqued it onto the pre-quilted background. 









Likewise, the mustache was embroidered on another piece of fabric, and then added to this piece.  The result is they add some dimensionality to a flat work.

I'm so proud of the men in my life who support women's rights, and fight against the repressive, hateful words and policies of the current US Administration. 

Resist.

Peace.








9 comments:

  1. Love it! And yes--definitely enter it into Threads of Resistance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries to that show!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely fantastic!! I also made a piece for both the challenge and Thread of Resistence! Love the overall look, but that hat is amazing! I thought it was knitted!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat and mustache are great techniques and add so much to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I decided it quilt it first, then applique on top. I had never done that before, but I think it really works. The OTHER great thing, is this allowed me to make those bits, then play with placement, which I would have had to commit to if I had just embroidered right on the background. Lots of interesting lessons

      Delete
  4. I wondered if you quilted before or after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I quilted first, then added the applique hat and mustache, and fused glassed on top. I stitched down then glasses too.

      Delete