Sunday, January 14, 2018

Climate Change







Hand embroidered, hand quilted. Completed January 14, 2018.  Size 10" x 10" 

This quilt was made for the week 1 challenge in Project Quilting season 9 - Hometown Proud.  





We live in New York City now, but I spent most of my life in California.  Although the current federal administration won't acknowledge climate change,   I'm proud that the state of California has a whole portal devoted to information about the various strategies in place to deal with implementation of their vision. 












This image is used as the logo,


and is based on a dire drought map from 2014.






I've been exploring this raw edge applique technique, so I traced the logo, then pinned down color shapes in the approximate locations. 








I embroidered the outlines of the state and the drought section lines.  Next I embroidered small symbols of the various sorts of policies in place, regarding electricity, solar energy, water conservation, recycling, rain reclamation, wind turbines, and other actions. 










Then I decided to hand quilt a radiating spiral, first to echo the curve of the major element, that red half-circle, but also to acknowledge the dangerous earthquakes that rock the state, and one of the things I do not miss about California.

I'm proud that the great state of California continues to work towards a better planet, with a mindful Climate Change vision, policies and legislation.  I hope the federal government soon regains its senses, readopts the Paris Accord and takes a leadership position in this movement. 

Peace. 
Paula 








.

8 comments:

  1. Great design and I love how your quilting captures the epicenter of an earthquake and aftershocks!! We must have switched places as I spent most of my life in NY and relocated to Ca!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! We moved to NYC 3 years ago, and enjoy life here, but I've not yet gotten a sense of NY politics. Enjoy the PQ season, I know you participate as well.

      Delete
  2. Your passion echos in your quilt. Your quilting is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I love your ideas and how you make them happen - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. The Project Quilting challenges are great jumping off points! I am glad to be a part of it

      Delete