Friday, January 6, 2023

Keep Abortion Legal

 


Keep Abortion Legal
6" square, January 6, 2023, for Project Quilting: The First One challenge
hand embroidered; machine quilted


This small piece is my response to the prompt: The First One, at this time following the overturning of Roe V. Wade by the super conservative Supreme Court.   It's my acknowledgement of my FIRST abortion; yes, I've had more than one.   Abortion was not illegal at the time, and should not be illegal now.  Legal abortion recognizes a woman's right to bodily autonomy.  For too long, we've been shamed into keeping quiet about abortion, about menstruation, about all manner of female bodily functions. 

This small section of quilting shows where the small mass of growing cells may have been attached to the wall of my uterus. 

This image shows the two color embroidery technique I have been developing over the years, where I color block the background, then embroider a line drawing over this shape. 

Keep abortion legal to allow women full bodily autonomy.  The number of abortions I've had is nobody's business but my own.  I've also carried some pregnancies to term.  That number is also nobody's business. 

Here's a good essay by a woman who writes honestly and eloquently about having more than one abortion, she speaks to the societal stigma:  "I've had three abortions"  

Minding my own business, 
Peace, 
Paula 



  








10 comments:

  1. Bravo! I don't think most women today know how hard their grandmothers/mothers fought for this right or how much we have lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is powerful. Thank you so much for creating and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. its hard to come out about this

      Delete
  3. You've blown me away once again. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love what you create for PQ and this one is no different. It's so incredibly powerful--thank you for sharing this important art and message.

    ReplyDelete