Sunday, February 5, 2023

I am a curvy woman

 


Fighting 36-24-36
9" x 9"  February 5, 2023, for Project Quilting: "54-40 or fight" challenge 14.3
hand embroidered, machine quilted


This week's challenge is to interpret this traditional block as explained in this post by Trish Frankland and Kim Lapacek   This is a basic 54-40 or fight block:
I was inspired by the concept of fighting against numbers and know that I've been fighting against the ideal female hourglass form for many years. Even when I was younger I didn't think I had the 'right' shape, and lament now, looking back at photos from those years, that I didn't have good body image.  (oy, what was I thinking?)

So here I am, well past 'middle aged', a woman with an AARP card, and recently struggled with dating again after a long marriage.  My youthful body spent. 

So I'm taking up arms, figuratively, against the tyranny of numbers that we cannot achieve.  I'll never be those measurements again, I'll never weigh those numbers again, I'll never be that age again.  I. am. a. curvy. woman. 

peace, 
Paula 

ps - I'm happy to report I've found a partner who embraces, literally, ALL my curves. 







7 comments:

  1. Cool interpretation of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your PQ14.3 entry is a lovely blend of quilting and stitch. Way to stretch the theme to create something personally relevant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful piece! And yeah for finding someone that makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a swimmer I love this, I lave some of that background fabric

    ReplyDelete