Sunday, February 17, 2019

Chocolate Wrappers




Vinyl and Lindt chocolate truffle wrappers.  Size 16" x 15".  Completed February 13, 2019, for Quilt Lab Experiment: Unconventional Materials


The Quilt Lab group at Gotham Quilts in Manhattan has monthly 'experiments'.  Some are more successful than others for me, and I don't always complete a project.  This month was inspired by the Project Runway Unconventional Materials challenges.  Of course, I picked chocolate wrappers. 


A Lindt Chocolates shop opened on 34th Street; I pass by twice a day.    The truffles are arranged in bins by color and flavor.   I bought a bag of truffles,  and did the 'hard work' of eating the chocolates, saving all the colorful wrappers. 

I tried various methods of attaching the wrappers to a background.  Sewing wrinkled it, Ironing melted it, so I decided to glue the wrappers to vinyl.   I wanted to recreate a quilt block called "Candy Twist", so I carefully cut and


folded the wrappers to fit into a gridwork, I could see by placing the vinyl on my cutting mat. 






Since the wrappers aren't covered, they remain shiny, metallic.  





I'm completely charmed by this.

Peace. 


2 comments: