Monday, March 4, 2019

Executive Time



Fabric 'ransom' note. Letters cut from various fabric, glued, then machine quilted into place.  Size: 11"x 6".  Completed on March 4, 2019.

"Trapped at Boarder.... send cash, covfefe, hamberders and blondes!"  

This piece was created for the Project Quilting week 5 challenge: Abecedarius

Although I like doing handwork, and especially embroidered words, I knew that the tight timeline to achieve this challenge meant doing something a little different.  I had the idea to do a collage-style ransom note, for someone trapped with a request for chocolate (because I knew I had fabric with the word chocolate on it.)  But my friend Kimberly pushed me towards doing a political piece, and even suggested some of the final phrases. 

First, I gathered some fabric from my stash that has words on it: 

I started cutting letters out of the fabric:



Then glued each letter on the background: 


Finally I machine quilted around each letter and in waves below each line of text: 


The name "Executive Time" refers to the 'down' time the current occupant of the White House spends watching TV and tweeting each day.  I imagined that he would be writing these kinds of messages during that time.  Its full of his ridiculous misspellings and immature desires. 

I can hardly wait for the end of this era. 

Peace, 
Paula 


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene. Its interesting how good work can be done so quickly.

      Delete
  2. Great concept. I, too, am waiting for the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just absolutely brilliant and made me smile!! While we must wait to exercise our right to vote and end this era, I look forward to casting a vote for your entry next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I love doing political work. I'm glad it inspired you.

      Delete
  4. This is great! I don't think I have a lot of fabric with letters on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shasta. It really only took 3 or 4 fabrics. Did you see the image of my fabric pull? not much there.

      Delete
  5. Paula your work of art brought a smile to my face. Considering the “topic” that is a major feat! Just over 2years ago my hubby and I bet on your President’s future. My hubby bet he would be gone by April 20, 2019. I told him that even if I lose the bet I win. Sending many wishes for a relatively harmless year+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Its been a rough 2 years, and it isn't over yet. The only positive for me personally is that I've started making all this political art. I hope wherever you live in the world, you are safe from a ridiculous and childish head of government. Peace.

      Delete