Sunday, February 9, 2020

Heartless



"Heartless" - manipulated fabric, hand embroidery, machine quilted.  8"x8" .  Completed on February 9, 2020  for Project Quilting "Put a Heart on It" challenge. 

I first imagined this as a whole body, with the heart ripped out, and then every drawing just cropped closer and closer to this chest piece.  


I drew a heart on this heavy cotton fabric, cut it out and basted in 4 layers of red fabric behind it.    After clipping the red fabric, I pulled back one layer slice at a time, securing it with embroidery floss.  I wanted to give it a look like the heart was ripped out (or just exploded out.) 




I machine quilted some of the cruel statements by this president:  "knock the crap out of him", "blood coming from her everywhere", "close the border",  "people are stupid",  "I like people who weren't captured".  We won't soon forget these statements because of all the art being made to capture it and preserve it for the future. 





I created a shirt collar and then this out of proportion long red tie which I tacked in place. 

The cruelty is the point with the monster in the White House, and frankly all those who stand by and say nothing.  The GOP is complicit in this evil and at this point all we can do is vote them ALL out in November.  I'm so sorry for all who will be harmed in the intervening months.  

I am an unapologetic liberal Democrat.  

Peace, 
Paula 

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well.... i just like to think outside the box. Thanks Trish. This is kind

      Delete
  2. Politically motivated or not, this is a really cool technique. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just made it up as I went along, and I wasn't really sure it would work out. If I had it to do over again, i think i would like multiple shades of red for more interest.

      Delete
  3. Love this
    Love the sentiment.
    Agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa. Everyday there is another cruelty. Every. Day.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing piece you've created! I also agree wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful sentiment and wonderfully executed

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Another poignant piece...with so much thought and wonderful executed. I always look forward to seeing your PQ entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I know you create amazing work for PQ also. Peace!

      Delete
  7. Great idea. I’m a new follower. Also an unapologetic democrat and progressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is incredible. What a powerful statement and piece. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I'm always surprised about what can be accomplished within the parameters of PQ. THANKS for running this.

      Delete
  9. What an interesting layering technique you used to create your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really was a thing I invented as I went along. Thanks for reading about it!

      Delete