Sunday, February 21, 2021

Spinning Out of Control

 


"Spinning out of control" - fused applique, machine quilted.  6.5x6.5" 

Created for Project Quilting "Snail's Trail" challenge


The weekly challenge is to use or be inspired by the 
traditional quilt block: "Snail's Trail" - here is a possible layout of 4 blocks by Quilts by Jen







The block is made up of a 4-patch surrounded by increasing size triangles. 

I knew that this was not the week to make such a controlled project,  so I colored in a pattern: 











Then cut apart the paper pieces and glued them down in a spiral-type shape, so I could determine if the general spiral was till apparent: 


I intended to paper-piece this in this arrangement,  but the angles were all over the place and I simply didn't have the bandwidth for it. 








Then, because I wanted to use the Steam-a-Seam product sparingly, i arranged all the pieces of the same color Tangram-style to see how much I had to cut.  Look how tight these pieces fit together.  Now I see other arrangements too. 






After cutting the shapes out of fabric, I placed the pieces.  I had intended to stay within the postcard size (4X6")  so the light gray center was cut close to that size.  However this wanted to expand,  which is why there is a different grey behind it. 

Finally, I ironed this all down and quilted with a variegated thread.  

If I was doing this again, I would let these spin out more by arranging the triangles in more extreme angles because I think the color keeps the spiral-shape.  But then I would be more careful with value also, so there would be two light value and two dark value choices. 


This week, my personal life is spinning out of control.  I'll quote feminist theory here and claim that "the personal is political", in that women's personal experiences  "can be traced to one’s location within a system of power relationships."  I'm a strong woman and bristle at the victim-ness of that statement, but I may come to understand this situation in that light.  

I'll be ok. 

You'll be ok too. 

Peace, 
Paula 

 

11 comments:

  1. Very creative approach to design and construction. I will be sure to return for details about your project as I always love hearing about your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I was thinking about applique too, but I got too lazy to do it at all. Your quilting and the four colors really are tops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the deconstructed Snail's Trail you've created!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very attracted to deconstructed traditional blocks. There is so much that can be done here. This is just a start!

      Delete
  4. Love that this is "out of the box" thinking. I really like the design and your approach to the snail's trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! I added more details to the page so you can see the process a bit.

      Delete
  5. Love this. I hope this week gets a bit more under control.

    ReplyDelete